10 Aug 2013
On August 10th, SMHS was treated to a special tour of the counterscarp galleries at Newhaven Fort.
Although the galleries were once open to the public at special events, their preservation means only special access is now permitted.
The galleries were designed to allow the Newhaven Fort garrison to shoot at the enemy should they gain access to the ditch. To achieve this, the loopholed galleries were built into the corner of the outer wall of the moat. The counterscarp galleries are ringed in the photograph below.
The tour was organised and conducted by SMHS member Ed, who also works at the fort. Using architects' drawings, Ed explained the role of the galleries and their location.
In order to reach the counterscarp, a staircase descends from the fort down to a level below the floor of the moat. A tunnel extends beneath the ditch and terminates in a staircase up to the galleries.
The galleries are most notable for their colourful murals; it is believed that these date to Christmas 1946, when a party was held in here by personnel of the Air/Sea Rescue unit that had occupied these rooms since the war.
The scenes depict the landscape of the Downs, underwater landscapes and a passageway has been painted with a Middle East theme.
The role of Air/Sea Rescue is also portrayed; numerous depictions of the actual vessels that operated from Newhaven to pick up downed aircrew from the Channel. Also seen are some Mosquito aircraft that worked in tandem with the rescue launches as well as an early helicopter.
The group thoroughly enjoyed the tour and we would like to thank Ed for organising/leading it!
For just £10 per year, you can join SMHS and be involved in our projects!
Wednesday 20 Sep 2017
7.30pm for 8.00pm start
Function Room of the
Royal Oak Public House,
Station Street, Lewes,
SMHS meeting: Show and Tell
21 Dec 2016
Mid Sussex RED launch event
11 Nov 2016
SMHS meeting: Hellfire Corner
19 Oct 2016
SMHS meeting: "1066 and all that"
21 Sep 2016
SMHS meeting: Operation Pedestal
17 Aug 2016
This website is Copyright © 2017 Sussex Military History Society